Here is how I started out:
1. I cleaned the plate and candleholder thoroughly.
2. Then I gave them both a coat of red spray paint.
3. While out, charity-shop hunting, I also picked up a can of crickle paint. I always wanted to try that out - and here was the opportunity. So I applied a coat of crickle paint on the dried red spray paint. And the crickle stuff did what it said on the tin - it started crickling pretty much straight away.
4. I applied a coat of matt spray varnish to the plate and candlestick - just in case...
5. Lastly I used some silicone glue to stick the plate to the candlestick.
That was it - a rather romantic, shabby chic cake stand. I don't know, pink doesn't really feature in my decor very much, so I was not quite that happy with the outcome. If you use crickle spray, keep in mind that the cracks will show the colour you applied underneath the crickle spray - in my case red. Ah well... What do you think?