FYI


Friday, March 12, 2010

From Ugly Mug to High-Profile Mug

In one of my former lives I used to work for a large internet company, popularly associated with the colour purple. Guess who it was? Yahoo! You've got it... One of the superficial little perks of working for a large American corporation such as Yahoo! was the bits of merchandising that were continually thrown our way. I haven't really counted, but during my 3,5 year stint there, I came away with two jackets, about eight T-Shirts, two bags, two USB-computer lights, several baseball caps, a desk clock, other miscellaneous stuff and three mugs. Now that I am no longer associated with my former employer, I might as well pretty up those mugs.


One of my favourite crafty helpers is blackboard spray. In the past I have created blackboard labels on storage tins and on jam jar lids, a sweet little blackboard and my memory pebble. Then the other day I came across this great re-vamp via the link party at A Soft Place to Land. Jennifer Juniper at Hope Studios used blackboard paint to paint over the logo-ed mugs and create a writable blackboard label on them. I loved the idea - and have adapted it with my own little twist: A blackboard label in the shape of a classic, black silhouette.

Here is how I did it: First of all I printed a photo of myself in profile onto the back of a peelable, clear sticky film. (What do you call that stuff - you know, that film you can cover books in...). Make sure your silhouette is big enough to cover the logo on your mug! Also, unlike my illustration left, make sure you have enough space around the edges of the profile! (I forgot to take a pic of the second attempt at printing it on the film...)

Then I cut out my profile. This is a bit tricky - use nail scissors so you can negotiate the delicate line of the profile. Start by cutting a little slit in the middle of the "head" and then cut outwards to the profile line and cut out the shape. (*ahem* I prettied myself up a bit there, getting rid of my double chin...) Discard the middle bit and you are left with the template.

Peel off the backing paper and place your template on the mug. Make sure it covers up the logo completely - you do not want to have a big purple exclamation mark to peek out next to your profile... Push along the edges of the film with your fingernail so no paint bleeds under it. Cover the rest of the mug with paper so you don't get any paint drops anywhere else.


Now spray over the template. You should give it at least two coats of paint, to make sure you have covered it completely. Let it dry for at least half an hour in between coats (or whatever your brand of blackboard spray recommends).


After drying, carefully peel off the sticky film. And you are done! Chances are, that the spray paint has bled a little bit under the film. No panic - take a craft knife and slowly and carefully scratch off any bumpy bits from your silhouette - you don't want to end up with a blobby big wart on your elegant nose *hehe*.

What do you think? Hm, it may seem a little bit egocentric to have a mug with your own pretty "mug" (Irish slang for "face" *hehe*) on it. So make a few more for all the family members. Write a little witty slogan on it and personalise your breakfast table ;-)


Now, I have no idea how well these fare in the dishwasher. I suspect it may rub off in there. So this might be a precious mug for those special occasions. Ah well, form cannot always follow function. Nonetheless, they are an improvement from an advertising gizmo to a personal piece of crockery!


Best,


Linking to 


 















DIY Day @ ASPTL







 










28 comments:

Unknown said...

Lovely idea Sonia! No need to trow away those ugly cups with logos...
Love the "moi" on the silhouette! I found it curios that I refer to certain things in my life exactly as you do: "In one of my former lives..." I think we are two lucky girls ;-)

Jennifer Juniper said...

I've just been handwashing them. I usually only drink coffee or tea and a quick rinse and around the rim does the trick :)

Kansas Amy said...

You are so CREATIVE!! I received your gift this week in the states! Thank you for all the fun stuff! I am going to have so much fun with it! I did a post about it today... http://creativeinkansas.blogspot.com/2010/03/wonderful-gift-from-dublin-ireland.html

TaDa! Creations said...

What a great idea! I love the silhouette look especially. I may need to look for mugs at garage sales this summer and make one for everyone in my family. Thanks for sharing. Found you at the Tatertots and Jello Weekend Wrap Up Party.

Heather - Dollar Store Crafts said...

Thanks for leaving the link to this great project at Dollarstorecrafts! I love it - what a genius idea! Even I have one of those "former employer" mugs... it is actually in the donation box at the moment, but this might be a good enough reason to rescue it! I'll definitely link to your project at some point from dsc. Thanks for the comment & for visiting!

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I love the silhouette idea! That would make a fun gift.

beckaboots said...

That is a great idea! I need to put some silhouettes around my house!

Stacey said...

Great idea! I ♥ chalkboard paint...this is a wonderful idea, my kids will love to see their mugs on my mug! Thanks for the tip! : )

Infarrantly Creative said...

Oh my heck that is so cute. I love silhouettes!

Remodelaholic said...

Sonja,

By the way I think this turned out beautifully the silhouette is so classic! I really love it!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Sonja, What a creative and fun idea! I have some mugs that would certainly benefit from this unique treatment. Also, wouldn't it be great to have a set of matching mugs and spray a chosen motif on them and put everyone's names on them. No one would ever again say, "Is this YOUR coffee?". Wonderful idea!
Yvonne

Expressions by Heather said...

It turned out great, I love it!

Please feel free to link your project up with my Talented Tuesday Link party on My Frugal Family, found at theherberfamily.blogspot.com!

Hope to see you there!

Jen said...

Neat idea. Just stopping over from Dollar Store Crafts- I saw your link.

Jen
Creative and Curious Kids!

Molly Anne said...

That is so darn cute! The "mug" double meaning gave me quite the laugh. This was such a clever way to hide those icky logos! I'm quite inspired to try it!

Kimmy said...

What a genius idea! I never would have thought chalkboard paint on a mug! You have opened a whole new world of ideas for me! :)

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Ok - that is darling! I LOVE it!!! I want to make some!

Thanks so much for linking up to my party. I really appreciate it!

XOOX
Jen

iheartsunnydays said...

What a wonderful idea!

Unknown said...

That is so completely awesome! Love these mugs - I have all white mugs... I can do one for each of the family!!! Too Cool : )

Amy @ Positively Splendid said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy @ Positively Splendid said...

So sorry for the deleted comment...there was a typo, and I'm just too neurotic to leave it. ((Blush)) This is brilliant! Truly! I actually posted a tutorial on my blog earlier this week for creating silhouettes with Photoshop Elements, and I'd be delighted for you to swing by and take a look!
http://the-bell-family.blogspot.com/2010/03/creating-digital-silhouettes-with.html

The Charm of Home said...

Great idea! Love the image you used.
Win Rachael Ray bake ware at my blog.
Thanks!
Sherry

creativejewishmom.com said...

Sonja, I need you at my international blog linking party! I get so excited when I see a crafter from some country other than the USA! (not knocking it, I used to live there too) Please drop by Craft schooling Sunday (Sun-Tues) and join a group of great crafters from around the world!
And please tell your crafty friends!
all the best, and hope to see you there@ creativejewishmom.com

creativejewishmom.com said...

Thanks so much for accepting my invitation! I can't wait to share this with my readers next week and hope you'll come back for another party too! all the best, Sara

Alex @ Esculon Says said...

Love this...I've been dying to spray paint SOMETHING with that chalkboard stuff! I hope you don't mind if I add your project to my DIY Holiday Gift post. Thanks!

bespoke mugs said...

What a great idea! I love the silhouette look especially.

Anonymous said...

This project rocks! I just wanted to let you know that I featured this today on You Sew Rock Me Fridays. Here's the link if you want to check it out: http://wp.me/s1VAkT-1183

Unknown said...


Thanks a lot for sharing them. I was thinking of doing it soon, just so I can torture myself, LOL! Seriously, this is so stressful for me… I will bookmark your post for futur references. Thanks!
Funky coffee mugs online

Unknown said...

Amzing Post Dear ………keep posting!!
Print pictures on cups