FYI


Friday, September 10, 2010

Freshen up your Wardrobe

If I haven't been very crafty recently, then at least my daughter - the princess of crafts ;-) - has kept up the spirit. She recently came home with a little pressie for me that was incredibly simple, but decorative - and practical. She had picked some fresh lavender and then turned them into wardrobe fresheners.  I wish I could somehow transmit the lovely scent the lavender passes on... Ahhhh, the last scent of summer... If it isn't too late for fresh lavender, you might want to try this, too.

I haven't got a proper how-to for this project, but it is pretty self-explanatory when you look at the pictures. All you need is a handful of lavender (with stalks) and some ribbon.

Make sure you pick long stalks. Bunch them up in your hand, arranging them in such a way that you get about 14 cm/6 inches of lavender buds at the top. Then simply bend the stalks back underneath the lowest of your lavender buds. The stalks should form a little "cage" around the buds. 

Take some thin ribbon again about 14 cm/ 6" in length, and tie it with a simple knot on the break point of one of the lavender stalks. Now weave the ribbon in and out of the stalk "cage", spiralling up to the ends of the stalks. Tie them at the top. Fasten a nice little bow and a piece of ribbon, from which to hang you lavender bunch, to the top. Presto.


I think this is really cute and it certainly freshens up my wardrobe. If I had more of them, I would display a whole bunch of them somewhere. They would look nice in a rustic kitchen, or even bunched together in an apothecary jar...


Best,


Linking to:

UndertheTableandDreaming The DIY Show OffMaking

1 comment:

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Sonja - This is such a great idea! I just cut a bunch of lavender donw for the fall and widh I had seen this before I had tossed them away. Great idea. I'll be featuring this tomorrow - Stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Thanks for linking up to the Sunday Showcase. I greatly appreciate it. Hope you have a fabulous week. Stephanie Lynn