FYI


Thursday, February 11, 2010

Tidying up Loose Ends - Ribbon Organisation

Hi everybody. Are you still there? Sorry, I vanished for a short break to Bologna. What a beautiful country Italy is - I was so impressed by everything. The antiquities, the food, the friendliness of the people. The Italians certainly know ARS VIVENDI. If you want a couple of impressions from that beautiful place, check my flickr set "Bologna".

But now back to blogging and crafting. Or in reverse order - there is crafting first and then there is blogging. It's been a while in coming, but I finally managed to get rid of the mess that was my ribbon box. I forgot to take a before-picture, but believe me, it was not a pretty sight. Scrunched up ends of ribbons, bows, and bobbins all squashed into an old shoe box in my kitchen cabinet. Something had to be done. And this is what I came up with - not only a made-over shelf, but also some ribbon organiser:



You will recognise the shelf from my earlier post about the poor little shelf I rescued from the garage. With a bit of elbow grease, care and paint, I revived the thing and finally hung it up above my desk in my study/craft room. I love that I have my ribbons all handy now, and a place for the scissors to hang. And some display space to make the room where I increasingly spend most of my time prettier. 


The bobbins feed onto what used to be the towel rail. The hooks behind it will house my scissors and assorted bits and pieces that can be hung up. On top I have placed a glass jar with short ends of ribbons. They are too pretty to be hidden in a box - and I always have an overview over the available ribbons when I am wrapping presents or crafting. 


And finally, Basil, my sweet little teddy, gets the prime spot to look down upon me from his "pedestal".


So here is a proper before-and-after. Definite improvement, I think.




 Best,

 Linking to:

giveaways

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Such a clever idea! Love the transformation. Great way to store and show off pretty ribbon!

Cheers!
Tina

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

Italy? How wonderful! Your ribbon shelf is adorable and a great idea. I have ribbons on a curtain rod and I love the way it looks. Thanks for linking up!

HouseMama said...

Hi - I'm stopping by from the Mantel Party. What a wonderful project. I have a similar shelf that needs a new purpose. Thank for you the great idea.

Kim at Polka Dot Thought said...

Thanks for swinging by my blog! That is a terrific idea to display photos that way as you suggested! Glad I found your blog, lovin' the craft shelf! I also displayed my ribbon in a similar way for my craft closet--used a curtain rod :) Works out great!

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Sonja...

Ohhh...what a great idea! I love your shelf and ribbon keeper! I think I need one! You should see the drawer where I keep all my ribbon spools...hehe! Second thought, you wouldn't want to see it! I have a "thing" for pretty ribbon and buy it when I find sales! Thanks for sharing the great idea!!!

Okay...let's talk Bologna! What a lucky lady you are!!! I love Italy!!! I traveled through the northern parts of Italy about 4 yrs. ago...my final destination was Venice! You are absolutely right about the Italians being the sweetest and friendliest people! I loved my stay there! Well my friend, I hope that you had a fabulous time and are now refreshed!!!

Warmest wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

Remodelaholic said...

Sonja, I swear we might just have the same crafting mind. I have this in my craft room under that shelf... I just haven't photographed it yet! So perfect!

I hope you are doing well!