FYI


Friday, January 29, 2010

Displaying your Treasures

Seems that I am on a treasure finding trip at the mo. Looking through my daughter's bookcase, I found a lovely old book of poems for children, illustrated with cute but simple graphics. Unfortunately there was no date of publication in the book. Just from the style of illustrations I would guess it is from the 1920s. In any case, the pictures are lovely, and I decided to display the book so that it gets the attention it is due.


The mantle in the bedroom was lacking a bit of care. So there was the perfect display space for the book. As usual my mantle is rather sparsely decorated - partly because I am not the only one looking at the decorations and my better half does not go for frilly, elaborate displays. So here is the compromise.


Do you see the two photos on the mantle? They were a two-minute addition when I felt that the mantle was too bare. I didn't have any frames handy, so I did some little magic with origami again. Here's what I did:


I printed some origami designs on scrap A4 size paper. I cut it into half and then trimmed the resulting A5 size pages into two squares. Then I folded the paper to produce this photo display, where you tuck your photo under the corners. It even comes with its own "stand".

I made a little video tutorial for you - as you know I hate picture tutorials for origami, so this will show you how it is done.



Easy or what? With a bit of measuring and thinking you can make these to suit all photo sizes. Makes giving a photo as a gift a bit more substantial, I think, and you can choose your paper according to your decor.

Here is the backside of it. As you can see I simply glued a penny onto the bottom "quarter" of the frame. The remaining three quarters I fixed in the middle with a glue dot. It stands perfectly on its own and does a great job.

Best,

  

Just in time to link to



8 comments:

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

You are quite the origamist! Thanks so much for taking the time to teach others how to make a little frame. Those tulips on your mantel are so gorgeous and make me long for spring ;).

Sandra said...

I love old childrens books because the graphics are so fun...I also love the tulips reflection in the pretty oval mirror...what a fun mantel! Come by and say hi...

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said...

That is really a great idea! Love it!!

(And I am so jealous of your tulips!!!)

Tia said...

Oh oh oh, I am in LOVE with the head on your mantel. I just adore body parts in decorating... hehe. It kind of freaks out my children and guests, but there's something so intriguing about seeing a random piece of anatomy...

Debbiedoos said...

Love the pink tulips!!~

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

Very cute with just enough frill. :) The tulips are gorgeous. Love the mirror too. Very cool origami trick.

Blondie's Journal said...

Oh, how pretty. Thanks again for a great video!! I love the pretty tulips!!

xoxo
Janie

Sonja @ Craft-Werk said...

Thanks for all your kind comments. Hehe, yes, I am becoming a serial origamist here LOL.